MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is home to the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center-the area's only comprehensive cancer center and one of only 41 in the nation designated by the National Cancer Institute. The center's physician/scientists are among the most experienced at treating all forms of cancer-from the most prevalent to rare.
Our multidisciplinary team includes nationally and internationally known leaders in medical oncology, surgery and radiation oncology. Their collective expertise and specialized knowledge lead to accurate diagnoses with exceptionally high outcomes. A dedicated staff of nurses, nutritionists, geneticists, social workers and other healthcare professionals contribute to high-level inpatient and outpatient care and an enhanced quality of life.
Specialty Centers and Programs Include:
- The Jess and Mildred Fisher Center for Familial Cancer Research, offering genetic counseling and testing to people diagnosed with cancer or with a family history of the disease.
- The Betty Lou Ourisman Breast Health Center, offering a full range of innovative diagnostic and treatment options, including counseling.
- The Pancreatic Diseases Program, providing the most comprehensive and experienced care in the area to people with pancreatic cancer.
- The Prostate Cancer Center, the first in the nation's capital, featuring all established and emerging treatments as well as researching new approaches.
- The Otto J. Ruesch Center for the Cure of Gastrointestinal Cancers, combining our expertise in molecular medicine, translational research and a patient-centered philosophy to pursue the dream of individualized curative therapies.
Our dedication to understanding and unraveling cancer's mysteries gives you something few other hospitals can: access to tomorrow's treatments today through clinical trials, many exclusive to MedStar Georgetown. Our physician/scientists initiate or participate in more than 200 research studies each year, helping to advance cancer detection, prevention and treatment. As a result, Lombardi's full arsenal of treatment strategies features, not only proven approaches to treating and diagnosing cancer, but also the newest combination and targeted therapies including monoclonal antibodies and vaccines.
First and Foremost
- A leading contributor to the development of the world's first anti-cancer drug (the HPV vaccine) and a pioneer of estrogen hormone therapy for breast cancer-as well as many other agents
- Gastrointestinal, lymphoma and breast cancer physician/scientists who are pioneers in their respective fields with international reputations
- One of the first hospitals in the nation to use CyberKnife®-a non-surgical, minimally invasive robotic system for tumors located anywhere in the body
- One of the nation's first sites to offer digital mammography
- Designation by the American College of Radiology as the first Breast Imaging Center of Excellence in the District of Columbia, placing us among the top two percent of facilities nationwide
Learn more about cancer at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.