A faculty member since 1992, Kevin M. McGrail, MD, FAANS, FACS, has been chair of Neurosurgery at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and Georgetown University School of Medicine since 2003. He treats both adult and pediatric patients.
Dr. McGrail received his medical degree from Tufts University in 1983, where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed his general surgery internship at the University of Maryland Hospital, followed by a residency in neurosurgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital. While there, Dr. McGrail was also a research fellow in neurobiology at Harvard Medical School. Subsequently, he received advanced specialized training in complex cranial and spinal surgery at the Mayo Clinic.
Dr. McGrail is a national leader in neurosurgery and an active researcher and educator. He has published extensively in numerous peer-reviewed journals and text books, and has served as a past chair of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons membership committee, and a president of the Washington, DC, Academy of Neurosurgery.
For at least 15 years, Dr. McGrail has been recognized by Washingtonian magazine as a "Top Doctor."
Philosophy of Care
My goal is to find the correct diagnosis for all of my patients and then provide the most appropriate, individualized therapy to ensure their continued health and well-being.
Clinical Areas of Focus
1. McGrail, K.M., Heros, R.C., Debrun, G., Beyerl, B.D.: Aneurysm of the petrous segment of the internal carotid artery. J. Neurosurg. 1986;65:249-252.
2. McGrail, K.M., Sweadner, K.J.: Immunofluorescent localization of two different Na, K-ATPases in the rat retina and in identified dissociated retinal cells. J. Neurosci. 1986;6:1272-1283.
3. McGrail, K.M., Beyerl, B.D., Black, P.M., Klibanski, A., Zervas, N.T.: Lymphocytic adenohypophysitis of pregnancy with complete recovery. Neurosurgery. 1987;20:791-793.
4. McGrail, K.M., Sweadner, K.J.: Complex expression patterns for Na, K-ATPase isoforms in retina and optic nerve. Eur. J. Neurosci. 1989;2:170-176.
5. McGrail, K.M., Phillips, J.M., Sweadner, K.J.: Immunofluorescent localization of three Na, K-ATPase isozymes in the rat central nervous system: Both neurons and glia can express more than one Na, K-ATPase. J. Neurosci. 1991;11:381-391.
6. Sweadner, K.J., McGrail, K.M., Khan, B.A.: Discoordinate regulation of isoforms of the Na. K-ATPase and myosin heavy chain in the hypothroid postnatal rat heart and skeletal muscle. J. Biol. Chem. 1992; 267:769-773. *
7. McGrail, K.M., Muzzi, D.A., Losasso, T.J., Meyer, F.B.: Ventriculoatrial shunt distal catheter placement using transesophageal echocardiography. Neurosurgery. 1992;30:747-9.
8. Ogilvy, C.S., McGrail, K.M., Chapman, P.H.: Subdural empyema complicating bacterial meningitis in a child: Enhancement of membrane using gadolinium on MRI in patients without enhancement on computerized tomography. Surg. Neurol. 1992;37:138-141
9. McGrail, K.M., Ojemann, R.G.: The surgical management of benign Intracranial meningiomas and acoustic neuromas in patients 70 years of age and older. Surg. Neurol.. 1994;42:2-7.
10. Piepgras, D.G., McGrail, K.M., Tazelaar, H.D.: Intracranial dissection of the distal middle cerebral artery as an uncommon cause of distal cerebral artery aneurysm. J. Neurosurg. 1994; 80:909-13.
11. Winston, K.R., Ogilvy, C.S., McGrail, K.M.: Reduction Cranioplasty. Pediatr. Neurosurg.1995;22:228-234.
12. McGrail, K.M., Piepgras, D.G.: The management of giant vertebral artery aneurysms. J. Neurovasc. Dis 1996;1:21-26.
13. McGrail, K.M.: The intraoperative use of electroencephalography as an assessment of cerebral blood flow. Neurosurg. Clin. of North America. 1996;7:685-692.
14. Hunter, W.D., McGrail, K.M.: Staged resection of a large cavernous angioma in a 10 year old child. J. Neurovasc. Dis. 1997;2:92-96. **
15. Mashour, G.A.,. McGrail, K.M.: Nitic Oxide and the Pathogenesis of Cerebral Vasospasm. J. Neurovasc. Dis. 1997;2:202-205. **
16. Watson, V., Coumans, J., McGrail, K., Guglielmi, G: Rupture of cerebral anuerysms during endovascular treatment with electrolytically detachable coils: Incidence, management, and outcome. J. Neurovasc. Dis.1998;3:269-275**
17. Bhargava, P, McGrail, K.M., Manz, H.J., Baidas, S: Lung carcinoma metastatic to intracranial meningioma. Case report and review of literature. Am. J. of Clin. Oncology 1999,22:199-202. **
18. Coumans, J.V, Watson, V., Picken, C., McGrail, K.M.: Saphenous vein Interposition graft for recurrent carotid stenosis following prior endarterectomy and stent placement. J. Neurosurg. 1999,90:567-570**
19. Coumans, J.V., McGrail, K.M.: Aneurysms: To coil or clip? Perspectives in Neurological Surgery. 1999;10:125-145. **
20. Sandhu, F., McGrail, K.M.: The evaluation and management of acute low back pain. Emerg. Med. 1999;31:20-46.**
21. Coumans, J.V., McGrail, K.M: Psychiatric presentation of carotid stenosis. Surgery. 2000;127:713-715. **
22. Coppa, N.D, Kim, H. J., McGrail, K.M.: Spontaneous resolution of Syringomyelia and Chiari malformation Type I in a patient with cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea. Case report. J. Neurosurg. 2006, 105; 769-761. **
23. Huang, M.C., McGrail, K.M. Inceidental durotomy in cervical spinal surgery. Seminars in Spine Surgery. 2006, 18, 230-234. **
24. Voyadzis, J.M., Panicker H, McGrail, K.M.: Kernohan’s phenomena resulting from a traumatic left acute subdural hematoma. Applied Radiology. 2007, 36. **
25. Makuria, A.T., Rushing, E.J., McGrail, K.M., Hartmann, D.P., Azumi, N., Ozdemirli, M.: Atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumor (AT/RT) in Adults: review of four cases. J. Neurooncol. 2008, 88, 321-330. **
26. Thomas, J.A., Watson, V, McGrail, K.M.: Surgical Management of a Paraclinoid Aneurysm Containing a Misplaced Neuroform Microstent. Neurosurgery. 2008, 63, 817-818. **
27. Eric Oermann, Brian T Collins, Kelly T Erickson, Xia Yu,1 Sue Lei, Simeng Suy, Heather N Hanscom, Joy Kim, Hyeon U Park, Andrew Eldabh, Christopher Kalhorn, Kevin McGrail, Deepa Subramaniam, Walter C Jean, and Sean P Collins: CyberKnife enhanced conventionally fractionated chemoradiation for high grade glioma in close proximity to critical structures. J Hematol Oncol. 2010; 3: 22 10.1186/1756-8722-3-22 **
28. Lee, D.L., Binning, M.J., Shanmugam, V.K., Schmidt, R.H., Couldwell, W.T., Meyer, M., Cupps, T., Douglas, A, McGrail, K.M.: MUSLIN-INDUCED INTRACRANIAL VASCULOPATHIC STENOSIS: A REPORT OF TWO CASES. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. 2012, 114, 63-67. **
29. Eric Karl Oermann, Rahul Bhandari, Viola J. Chen, Gabriel Lebec,2 Marie Gurka,2 Siyuan Lei,2 Leonard Chen,1 Simeng Suy,2 Norio Azumi,3 Frank Berkowitz,4 Christopher Kalhorn,1 Kevin McGrail,1 Brian Timothy Collins,2 Walter C. Jean,1 and Sean P. Collins2, Five Fraction Image-Guided Radiosurgery for Primary and Recurrent Meningiomas:* Front Oncol. 2013; 3: 213.
30. Anaizi, A.N., Sayah, A., Berkowitz, F., McGrail, K.M.: Bowhunter's syndrome: the use of dynamic magnetic resonance angiography and intraoperative fluorescent angiography. J. Neourosurg: Spine: 2014, 20, 71-74. **
31. Oermann EK, Murthy N, Chen V, Baimeedi A, Sasaki-Adams D, McGrail K, Collins SP, Ewend MG, Collins BT.: A Multicenter Retrospective Study of Frameless Robotic Radiosurgery for Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformation Front Oncol. 2014; 4: 298.
32. Felbaum D1, Zhao DY1, Nayar VV1, Kalhorn CG1, McGrail KM1, Mandir AS2, Minahan RE2.Real-Time Evaluation of Anterior Choroidal Artery Patency During Aneurysm Clipping. Cureus. 2016 Feb 14;8(2):e495.
33. Siu, A, Neal, CJ, Syed, H.R., Felbaum, DR, Nair, MN, McGrail, KM, Caputy, CJ, Shields, DC: Creating a Culture of Collaboration: A Brief History of Academic Neurosurgery in Washington, DC: Neurosurgery. 2017, 81:1029–1039
34. Celano, EC, Anousheh, S, McGrail, KM: Cervical intradural disc herniation, case report and reflection on preoperative imaging. Radiol Case Rep. 2019, 14(9) 1076-1078
35. Wang, JS, Ter Louw, RP, DeFazio, MV, McGrail, KM, Evans, KK: Subtotal calvarial vault reconstruction utilizing a customized polyetheretherketone (PEEK) implant with chimeric microvascular soft tissue coverage in a patient with syndrome of the trephined: A case report. Arch Plast Surg. 2019 Jul 46(4) 365-370
Anaizi AN, Sayah A, Berkowitz F, McGrail K.M.: Bow Hunter's syndrome: The use of dynamic magnetic resonance angiography and intraoperative fluorescent angiography. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014; 20:71–74.
Lee, D. L., Binning, M.F., Shanmugam, V.K., Schmidt, R. H., Couldwell, W.T., Meyer, M., Cupps, T., Douglas, A., McGrail, K.M.: Muslin-Induced Intracranial Vasculopathic Stenosis: A report of two cases. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. 2012, 114, 63-67.
Thomas, J.A., Watson, V., McGrail, K.M.: Surgical Management of a Paraclinoid Aneurysm Containing a Misplaced Neuroform Microstent. Neurosurgery. 2008, 63, 817-818.
Makuria, A.T., Rushing, E.J., McGrail, K.M., Hartmann, D.P., Azumi, N., Ozdemirli, M.: Atypical Teratoid Rhabdoid Tumor ( (AT/RT) in Adults: Review of four cases. J. Neurooncol.2008, 88, 321-330.
Voyadzis, J.M., Panicker H, McGrail, K.M.: Kernohan's phenomena resulting from a traumatic left acute subdural hematoma. Applied Radiology Online. 2007, 36.
Huang, M.C., McGrail, K.M. Incidental durotomy in cervical spinal Seminars in Spine Surgery. 2006, 18, 230-234.
Coppa, N.D, Kim, H. J., McGrail, K.M.: Spontaneous resolution of Syringomyelia and Chiari malformation Type I in a patient with cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea. Case report. Neurosurg. 2006, 105; 769-761.