Functional Manual Therapy Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency; MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Satellite
- Residency program is coordinated with Institute of Physical Art
- For residency information, click here: Physical Therapy Residency Information
Program Description for Physical Therapy Residency
- Number of positions: 1
- Application deadline: accepted year round
- Preferred experience: 1-2 years in outpatient orthopedics and 3+ IPA courses
- Residency Period: as open position warrants (minimal 18 months)
- Estimated Stipend: based upon prior clinical experience level and specialty training
- Interview required: yes
- Full benefits package (health, dental, vision, malpractice coverage)
- 7 paid holidays, 1 personal day per six months, 5 continuing education days, sick/vacation days in accordance with resident's experience level and/or prior employment with MedStar Health.
- $2500/year continuing education reimbursement
Curriculum for Physical Therapy Residency
The first month of the program includes orientation to MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. This includes learning about the institution, its mission and philosophy while getting familiarized with the hospital's services. The following 17 months will be compromised of clinical rotations and the schedule will be developed by the resident and the residency director during orientation. As the resident's exposure and skill level in the treatment of varied patient populations increases, the resident's clinical case load will reflect the increased scope of specialty practice.
- Minimum 1500 clinical hours (No fewer than 9 months and no more than 36 months; average 12 months)
- 150 hours minimum of 1:1 mentoring (average 3 mentor hours/week x 12 months)
- 75 hours of classroom and lab instruction
Faculty for Physical Therapy Residency
Residents are mentored by expert faculty trained in Functional Manual Therapy in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.