MedStar Georgetown University Hospital was the first hospital in the nation's capital to achieve Magnet® Recognition.
Summer in the City
Each summer, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital hosts more than fifty nursing students from around the country for a ten-week nurse technician program. Here, students gain valuable, hands-on experience that sets them apart. Our paid externship helps nursing students discover new nursing specialties through paid shadow days. Bi-weekly Lunch and Learn meetings engage nurse technicians in conversations about professional and clinical topics and prepare them for their next role as new graduate nurses. Our nurse technicians even explore Washington, D.C. on a fun local scavenger hunt, an experience that allows them to get to know the city and each other.
Paid internships are available in most specialty areas, and the opportunity to apply for a $10,000 scholarship is available exclusively to participants.
Upcoming Program: Late May – Early August 2022
Application Period: November 7 – December 10, 2021
Interviews: January – March 2022
Additional application documentation will be requested, including
- Current resume and cover letter
- Current official transcript (reflecting a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or greater)
- Two clinical faculty reference letters (on official university letterhead)
- Employer reference if you have worked as a Nurse Technician/Extern/CNA/Care Partner
- Unit or specialty area preference
- Completion of a Med/Surg Clinical by Spring 2022
- Current enrollment in a BSN program
- Minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA
- Availability for full-time employment to include rotating shifts and weekends