Blood cancers harm the production and function of blood cells — the cells that carry oxygen, stop bleeding and fight infection and disease. Blood cancers like leukemia and multiple myeloma start in the bone marrow, the spongy material inside some bones where blood cells normally develop. But lymphoma, another type, forms in the lymph nodes and other parts of the lymph system.
Blood cancers remain a challenging group of diseases, with many types and subtypes. But we’ve made great strides in diagnosis and treatment, with additional, promising therapies on the way.
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a hematologist in Washington, DC, please call our scheduling line.
Meet the Team
Find a hematologist at MedStar Georgetown to meet your individual treatment needs.
Learn more about the blood cancers and related conditions we treat:
Blood Cancer Care
We welcome the chance to provide an initial diagnosis or a second opinion. Our program features:
- Expertise and Experience: Our program features top hematologist-oncologists and other specialists, diagnosing and treating one of the largest volumes of patients in the area and serving as a regional referral center. In addition to clinical care, many of our specialists conduct research and have published on blood cancer. Collectively, they work together to provide a collaborative approach. Our team includes:
- Nuclear medicine specialists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Latest Treatments: Our treatments are research-backed and individualized, with the latest approaches for chemotherapy and radiation and a full range of newer targeted therapies. We also take part in some of the most promising research and clinical trials in the nation and offer the region’s largest bone marrow and stem cell transplant program.
- Additional Support: In addition to primary treatments, we provide a full range of supportive care:
- Emotional and social counseling
- Spiritual care
- Assistance with smoking cessation
Learn more about our blood cancer treatments:
Learn more about hematological disorders and blood cancer care at MedStar Georgetown:
Cancer Care Patient Resources
- Patient Handbook (PDF)
- Support Services
- Your Healthcare Team
- Hope Connections for Cancer Support - Offers support groups and educational classes for people with cancer and their caregivers.
Awards & Recognitions
The MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Washington, D.C. region.
National Accreditation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
As an CoC-accredited cancer center, MedStar Georgetown takes a multidisciplinary approach to treating cancer as a complex group of diseases.