Top breast cancer care combines the latest advances with compassion and sensitivity — all delivered by doctors, nurses, and support staff with the right experience. At the MedStar Georgetown Cancer Network, our breast program team provides a comprehensive approach, giving you the guidance and support you need — from diagnosis through treatment and follow-up care.
We welcome the chance to help you with an initial diagnosis or offer a second opinion. We treat a range of breast conditions — for women and men.
Breast Cancer Care at MedStar Georgetown
Since 1997, women across the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area have trusted their breast health to the breast care experts at The Betty Lou Ourisman Breast Health Center at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Our breast program provides access to the advanced specialty care you deserve, with our team working together to create a plan customized to your condition, needs and preference.
Our breast program provides easy access to the advanced specialty care you need, with our team working together to create a comprehensive plan customized to your condition, needs, and preferences. We offer:
- Latest Advances: Our tools and treatments include:
- Proton Beam Therapy – Uses energy from protons instead of photons, allowing high dose radiation with no exit dose, resulting in fewer side effects than traditional radiation.
- Genetic counseling and other high risk clinics for those with a family history.
- Access to clinical trials at Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Washington, DC area's only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, and one of only 47 in the nation.
- Breast-conserving techniques that minimize scarring while sparing skin and nipples, combined with expert approaches to restore appearance
- Targeted, precise radiation
- State-of-the-art options for women with risk factors
- Expert Physicians: Our network includes a full range of experienced breast cancer specialists, many of them nationally renowned. Since working together is shown to provide the best care, they comprise a multidisciplinary team that includes:
- Medical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Plastic Surgeons
- Board-certified surgeons (many are fellowship-trained and focused exclusively on the breast)
- Convenience: We continue to provide convenient care — in addition to our hospitals and research centers, we offer outpatient evaluation at offices located in:
- Mitchellville, Maryland
- McLean, Virginia
- Complete Support: We offer a range of support to promote healing, comfort, and education, provided by our social workers, psychologists and nurse navigators —nurses who guide you and your family through the coordination of care, the delivery of services and the tough decision-making. Services also include:
- Nutritional counseling
- Spiritual care
- Support groups with other patients
- Complementary care
- Rehab Care: The specially trained doctors, nutritionists, and physical and occupational therapists at our MedStar National Rehabilitation Network help you recuperate fully and maximize post-surgery range of motion with exercises.
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a breast cancer specialist, please call our scheduling line.
Meet the Team
Find a breast cancer expert at MedStar Georgetown to meet your individual treatment needs.
MedStar Georgetown is proud to offer Breast Tomosynthesis (3D Mammography) to all our patients, at no additional charge. 3D Mammography helps detect cancers earlier and more effectively than traditional 2D digital mammography. Learn more.
Awards & Recognitions
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a designated Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
Learn more about breast cancer care and support services at MedStar Georgetown:
Cancer Care Patient Resources
- Patient Handbook (PDF)
- Support Services
- Your Healthcare Team
- Hope Connections for Cancer Support - Offers support groups and educational classes for people with cancer and their caregivers.
Awards & Recognitions
Our Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of only 47 comprehensive cancer centers in the nation and the only one in the Washington, DC, area. Award received since 1974.
National Accreditation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
As an CoC-accredited cancer center, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital takes a multidisciplinary approach to treating cancer as a complex group of diseases.