The majority of women who develop breast cancer have no known risk factors. The MedStar Breast Health program’s high-risk clinics located at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center offer specialized evaluation by a team staffed by medical oncologists and nurse practitioners, for anyone with:
- Family History: Just because family members developed breast cancer doesn’t necessarily mean you face a hereditary risk — in fact, the majority of women in that situation do not. But you could carry a combination of low-risk, mutated genes, or a single high-risk mutation like BRCA1 or 2.
- Radiation Exposure: Radiation therapy or frequent X-rays during childhood or young adulthood can increase your risk.
- Abnormal Cells: Patients with abnormal cells detected by breast biopsy are at increased risk for developing breast cancer in the future.
Women who fit one or more of these categories are at higher risk for developing breast cancer and can benefit by knowing their choices for managing that risk. Besides regular checkups at our clinics, our services include:
- Chemoprevention: Learn more about chemoprevention and other hormonal therapy for breast cancer
- Prophylactic mastectomy: Learn more about surgery for breast cancer, including prophylactic mastectomy
- Special expertise in providing and evaluating annual breast MRIs, in addition to regular mammograms
- Focus on detecting breast cancer early
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a breast health specialist, please call our scheduling line.
Meet the Team
Find a breast cancer expert at MedStar Georgetown to meet your individual treatment needs.
MedStar Georgetown is proud to offer Breast Tomosynthesis (3D Mammography) to all our patients, at no additional charge. We have upgraded all our equipment to Breast Tomosynthesis systems with the latest C-View software that reduces radiation exposure to patients. 3D Mammography helps detect cancers earlier and more effectively than traditional 2D digital mammography. Learn more.
Awards & Recognitions
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a designated Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
Learn more about breast cancer care at MedStar Georgetown:
Cancer Care Patient Resources
- Patient Handbook (PDF)
- Support Services
- Your Healthcare Team
- Hope Connections for Cancer Support - Offers support groups and educational classes for people with cancer and their caregivers.
Awards & Recognitions
Our Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of only 47 comprehensive cancer centers in the nation and the only one in the Washington, DC, area. Award received since 1974.
National Accreditation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
As an CoC-accredited cancer center, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital takes a multidisciplinary approach to treating cancer as a complex group of diseases.