Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers among men, with nearly one in six developing the disease at some point in their lives. Thankfully, most men are diagnosed early, with a range of safe and effective treatments offering an excellent prognosis. Learn more about prostate cancer symptoms.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital — a leader in innovative and compassionate patient care — is actively working to make a difference for current and future prostate patients, both locally and across the nation. We provide the best approach for your unique needs, through the region’s largest and most comprehensive prostate cancer program. That means the least invasive therapy possible to achieve the best outcome and the fewest side effects. We welcome the chance to help you with an initial diagnosis or offer a second opinion.
Prostate Cancer Care at MedStar Georgetown
Every prostate cancer case is unique, and we help you choose the best option. MedStar Georgetown offers patients the most complete array of advanced therapies available anywhere in the area. This specialized center also conducts research to improve today's care and find tomorrow's cure.
Our program offers:
- Unmatched Experience: Our robot-assisted surgery offers a range of benefits and is performed by some of the the area’s most experienced surgeons. We have performed more than 800 CyberKnife procedures and were the first mid-Atlantic hospital to adopt the system.
- Precise Diagnosis: In addition to the standard diagnostic tools, we’re one of the few centers in the region to offer the UroNav system for biospies. Our doctors not only sample tissue with ultrasound guidance, but also incorporate MRI images taken before the procedure. This improves clarity and accuracy, reducing the need for additional biopsies.
- Careful Treatments: While stopping the cancer is always our main goal, we also strive to preserve your urinary and erectile function. We know you value your quality of life after treatment as much as your longevity, and offer approaches like nerve-sparing surgery.
- Clinical Trials and Research: Our doctors and scientists are studying new, targeted therapies and novel combinations of chemotherapies, hormones, and drugs delivering radiation treatments. Clinical trials give many men access to the next generation of therapies months and even years before they become widely available—a benefit not everyone can offer.
- Team Approach: The best prostate care comes from a range of experienced specialists working together. Our team features
- Urologic oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Medical oncologists
- Robotic surgeons
- Physical therapists
- Pathologists specializing in the urinary tract and reproductive system
Learn more about prostate cancer:
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a prostate cancer specialist in Washington, DC, please call our scheduling line.
Meet the Team
Find a prostate cancer expert at MedStar Georgetown to meet your individual treatment needs.
Learn more about prostate cancer care at MedStar Georgetown:
- Prostate Cancer Risk Factors and Screening
- Prostate Cancer Treatments
- CyberKnife for Prostate Cancer
- Prostate Cancer Treatments Brochure (PDF)