Benefits of Proton Therapy at MedStar Georgetown
Proton therapy with HYPERSCAN™ is the next generation of radiation therapy, providing patients with a wide range of benefits:
- Targets and destroys tumors with precise accuracy
- Applies less radiation dose than other types of radiation therapy due to its ability to shape to the exact size and shape of the tumor
- Causes less damage to surrounding healthy tissues by improved accuracy
- Results in virtually no exit dose (radiation exposure that continues through the body beyond the tumor)
- Lowers the risk of radiation-induced secondary cancers
- Results in fewer side effects and better quality of life following treatment
- Highly customizable treatment that can be tailored to each patient's unique needs
Benefits of Proton Therapy with HYPERSCAN for Children
Proton therapy is generally accepted as part of the standard of care treatment for many pediatric cancers. In addition to providing the most advanced form of radiation therapy for adults, proton therapy is beneficial for children, in particular, for several reasons.
- Children are less likely to develop a secondary cancer when treated with proton therapy. There are several studies that suggest that proton therapy is more effective at eliminating cancerous cells while keeping healthy surrounding cells unharmed. This means that the chances of suffering from a secondary radiation-induced cancer later in life may be significantly reduced when using proton therapy.
- Proton therapy lowers a child’s exposure to radiation. Because proton therapy with pencil beam scanning (PBS) can be more tightly controlled than conventional radiation therapy, it avoids unnecessary radiation exposure, especially to healthy tissues surrounding the treatment area. This results in less growth impairment.
- Normal activities are less impacted during proton therapy treatments than with other forms of radiation treatment. During traditional radiation treatment, a child is usually exposed to higher levels of radiation to normal tissue, which can cause more side effects. This is especially concerning when treating a child, who may have to stay home from school or other activities during treatment. Proton therapy increases the likelihood that a child can continue his or her everyday life with less disruption during the treatment process.
For more information, please contact Cheryl Savage, Administrator, Department of Radiation Medicine.
Email: [email protected]
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Proton Therapy Center is pleased to offer the most cutting-edge proton therapy technology available, providing the next generation of radiation medicine close to home. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward your recovery.