There are many causes of liver disease, and we offer a comprehensive, multidisciplinary evaluation and treatment of such disorders as:
- Chronic viral hepatitis B
- Chronic hepatitis C
- Metabolic disorders of iron and copper (hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease)
- Drug-induced liver injury
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFL or NASH)
- Chronic cholestatic syndromes: primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) and primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) and other causes of jaundice
Patients may also be referred for evaluation of:
- Elevated liver-associated enzymes
- Liver biopsy
- Liver transplant evaluation
- Our GI doctors offer the most advanced diagnostic technologies and nationally recognized experts in evaluating liver diseases and identifying patients for transplantation. Patients can be referred to MedStar Georgetown's Transplant Institute.
Liver Disease Treatment
In addition, our doctors offer therapy for patients with chronic viral hepatitis (Hepatitis B and C), as well as treatment for several other liver disorders. Because of an extensive clinical research program, the center also offers other therapies as they become available.