An ostomy is a surgical procedure that creates an opening in the abdomen called a stoma. Whether temporary or permanent, ostomy surgery (e.g. colostomy, ileostomy, urostomy, ileal conduit) results in an alteration of body function.
MedStar Georgetown provides comprehensive outpatient care to adult patients who have ostomies or are scheduled for surgery for an ostomy. We provide support to new ostomates as they adapt their lifestyle and learn how to manage their ostomy. Our facilities also provide care to patients with problems related to drains and feeding tubes. It provides support for routine changing of established gastrostomy tubes, management of peritubular leakage and skin associated problems. We also see patients with ambulatory drainage systems and establishes stabilization for percutaneous tubes.
We offer the following care, support and education to patients:
- Pre-operative education and stomal marking for patients undergoing surgery
- Stoma function; pouching system, stomal and peristomal skin status and patient self care
- Recommendations regarding ostomy care and management and prevention of complications
- Education to patient and family on ostomy care and adaptation of ostomy into lifestyle
- Supportive counseling to lifestyle adaptation
- Education on the management of ambulatory drainage systems and preventative skin care
- Enhanced quality of life for patients with an ostomy
- Provide care recommendations and support to patients with ambulatory drainage systems or percutaneous tubes
- Referrals for medical care or other follow up needed (PT, OT, etc.)
Make an Appointment
For more information or to make an appointment with a surgeon, call