What to Expect
- A dedicated transplant coordinator to assist you in preparing for your consultation
- Patient and family centered care from a multi-disciplinary team of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, social workers, financial counselors and nutritionists
- Our hepatologists provide care in convenient locations across the metroplex
Why Choose MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute for your Liver Transplant?
- Our team of hepatologists (liver specialists) and gastroenterologists help manage liver disease, at times prolonging or even eliminating the need for transplant.
- Our transplant surgeons apply the latest surgical techniques including laparoscopic liver resection and transplant, cadaveric or split-liver transplantation, when appropriate.
- Wait times among the lowest in the country and nearly three times faster than other transplant centers in the region.
MedStar Georgetown’s Transplant Institute’s provides premiere liver disease diagnosis and treatment for patients suffering from a variety of liver disorders, including
- Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Fatty liver disease (NASH)
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (Liver cancer)
Different types of liver disease are treated in different ways. Critical to managing liver disease and perhaps even regenerating new, healthy liver cells, is a healthy diet that supports healthy liver function. However, if your liver is damaged to the point where regeneration is not an option, the best treatment for some types of end stage liver disease is transplantation.
Evaluation - Liver Transplant
The process to be cleared for a liver transplant includes a two-part pre-transplant evaluation, also known as a work-up. This evaluation process includes interviews with different members of the liver transplant team and diagnostic testing to determine your overall general health, as well as your end-stage liver disease.
If your child suffers from a serious liver disease and may require a transplant, The Transplant Center for Children at MedStar Georgetown Transplant Institute has innovative and compassionate expertise to care for the whole family.
Learn more about the liver transplant evaluation process.
Liver Transplant Process
Before the transplant surgery, important blood tests are undergone to ensure that your body is compatible with the donated organ and to check that antibodies in your body don't reject the donor's cells.
During surgery, your surgeon will remove your liver and replace it with the donor liver, making all the necessary internal connections.
Liver Transplant Recovery
Beginning immediately after surgery, the transplant team monitors you very carefully for any signs of rejection or other complications. Your pain will be controlled using medications, and we will do everything we can to make sure you are as comfortable as possible.
Nationwide, liver transplants are effective about 85 percent of the time, whether a donor organ or living donor is used.
Learn more about liver transplant recovery.
Liver Transplant Videos
Hope and Health Restored With Lifesaving Liver Transplant
MyGeorgetownMD Fall 2017
Make an Appointment
Liver Transplant Specialists
- Thomas Marlon Fishbein, MD, Chief
- Jason Solomon Hawksworth, MD
- Raffaele Girlanda, MD
- Alex Kroemer, MD
- Cal Satoshi Matsumoto, MD
- Thomas W. Faust, MD
- Stuart S. Kaufman, MD
- Khalid M. Khan, MD
- Alexander Lalos, MD
- Amol S. Rangnekar, MD
- Rohit S. Satoskar, MD
- Coleman Smith, MD, MBBS
- Arul Thomas, MD
- Nada A. Yazigi, MD
- Michelle Lee Sang, PA
- Andrea Keller, PA
- Suzanne Robertazzi, NP
- Colleen Rodigas, DNP
- Erin Meslar, PA
Transplant Clinic Lab Hours
7:30 am to 3:45 pm
7:30 am to 3:45 pm
7:30 am to 4:15 pm
7:30 am to 3:45 pm
7 am to 2:45 pm