At the Medstar Georgetown University Hospital Skull Base Center, we are committed to achieving the best outcomes for patients who have tumors deep within the brain. Our center features skilled physicians trained in the latest neurosurgical techniques and offers a unique combination of state-of-the-art tools and expertise that makes us one of the most comprehensive centers in the entire country.
Skull Base Center at MedStar Georgetown
We offer the full range of advanced techniques and therapies available today to treat your skull base brain tumor, no matter its size, location or complexity. We provide new hope to patients with tumors previously considered untreatable. Our experts are known for their extensive training, experience and expertise in minimally invasive techniques.
Our renowned program includes:
- Experienced specialists dedicated to team care: Our center includes all the specialties and supportive staff needed to care for tumors that are often complex and difficult to treat. Our team has a unique combination of expertise, experience and collaboration rarely seen on the East Coast, with some of our surgeons practicing together for more than a decade. Our ENT specialists and neurosurgeons commonly see patients together, so intense collaboration is present at the very start of your care. Meet our team.
- Personalized treatment plans: We believe every patient is unique. That’s why our brain tumor specialists work together to provide flexibility within treatment plans and options tailored to you, including three different surgical approaches to acoustic neuroma resection (surgical removal) when most centers in the area only offer one.
- The latest minimally invasive options available: We were one of the first hospitals on the East Coast to offer Cyberknife, a non-invasive, painless radiosurgery technology that destroys inoperable lesions and tumors, including acoustic neuromas and skull base tumors. We also feature leaders in endoscopic skull base tumor surgery (neuroendoscopy), a new frontier in skull base tumor treatment. Neuroendoscopy does not require any incisions, which means less pain, less scarring and a faster recovery compared to traditional surgery.
- Sophisticated, advanced medical technology: Our sophisticated, neurosurgical suites feature the latest technology including neuronavigation, which uses GPS-like technology to guide your surgeon through the intricate pathways in your brain.
- Collaborative relationship with Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center: Our skull base tumor patients have access to the most comprehensive cancer care available, including support services and clinical trials through our strong, collaborative relationship with the nationally-renowned Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Resources for out-of-state patients: Our expertise is sought after by referring physicians up and down the East Coast. Because of our unique collection of knowledge, technology and skilled specialists, we provide treatments to a patient population that includes people from along the entire Eastern seaboard and beyond.
Our advanced resources to ensure you get the most personalized care possible for your skull base tumor. Our tumor center houses highly-trained, board-certified specialists that pool their years of knowledge and skills together to make sure every detail of your care is what’s best for your recovery and circumstances. Our specialists include:
- Otolaryngologists (ear, nose and throat physicians, also called ENTs) who specialize in endoscopic techniques (minimally invasive procedures that utilize long, lighted tubes called endoscopes)
- Neuro-otolaryngologists (ENT surgeons who specialize in skull base tumor treatments)
- Neurosurgeons who specialize in endoscopic techniques, and skull base tumor specialists who specialize in open neurosurgery and otolaryngology
- Plastic surgeons who specialize in the reconstruction of the skull base if needed after tumor removal
- Radiation oncologists (cancer specialists) from the nationally-renowned Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
Each week, these specialists come together to discuss your care individually, elevating the already superior level of team-driven, innovative care we’re able to provide.