When a neurological disorder like Huntington’s disease threatens your future or that of a loved one, time truly becomes precious. That’s why the Huntington’s Disease Center at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital brings together all of the specialists your family needs in one dedicated healthcare facility.
There’s no need to waste time shuttling from appointment to appointment over a period of days or weeks. We provide all of the specialists and services you need for comprehensive disease care in a centralized clinic.
Why Choose MedStar Georgetown Huntington’s Disease Center
Consistent with the MedStar Georgetown commitment to cura personalis, or care of the whole person, the Huntington’s Disease Center is devoted to cura familia, or care of the whole family. Our services and support encompass family members and caregivers.
You and your family will benefit from our:
- Team approach. Our program includes experts across the entire spectrum of care, from neuropsychologists and genetic counselors to therapists and social workers. All of these specialists are available in our clinic and regularly communicate on patient cases.
- Comprehensive treatments. Our specialists develop personalized treatment plans to manage every aspect of the disease: movement disorders, mood disorders and cognitive disorders. Learn more about the Huntington’s disease treatments we offer.
- Family focus. We realize that no family can manage Huntington’s disease on its own without real social support. We are one of the only clinics that has a full-time dedicated social worker.
- Commitment to research. Our center is part of the Huntington Study Group, a collaboration of medical experts conducting research and clinical trials in the hopes of finding better treatments and ways to slow or stop the disease. Read more about our research and clinical trials.
- Community locations. We believe it’s important to provide care at locations convenient and easily accessible to our patients. We also have offices at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center in Olney, MD, and MedStar Health in McLean, VA.
Huntington’s Disease Care Team at MedStar Georgetown
Our team of medical experts works collaboratively to develop personalized care plans that take into consideration each other’s therapies. This lowers the potential of medication interactions and side effects, as well optimizes therapeutic benefits. Your care team is comprised of:
- Neuropsychiatrists who treat and manage behavioral changes and movement problems.
- Neuropsychologists who develop coping strategies for memory loss and other mental and physical changes that affect daily life including the ability to work.
- A full-time social worker who is dedicated solely to helping adults touched by Huntington’s disease. This includes providing ongoing support and help with placement in extended care facilities.
- A youth social worker who works exclusively with families whose children have the disease.
- Genetic counselors who help families faced with the difficult decision of whether to have genetic testing for the inherited gene mutation that causes Huntington’s disease. Our counselors are highly skilled at explaining genetic testing procedures and next steps.
- Physical therapists who help with muscle strengthening, coordination and balance.
- Speech therapists who help improve swallowing, eating and communication.
- Occupational therapists who teach new ways to accomplish daily tasks like personal hygiene.