Why Choose Neurosciences at MedStar Georgetown
There are very few hospitals in the world where you will find such a wide variety of neurological specialists under one roof. MedStar Georgetown’s physicians are experts in treating disorders of the brain and spine, offering new options and hope to patients with even the most complex cases.
MedStar Georgetown's Neurosciences Program is a working partnership of the departments of neurology, neurosurgery, pediatric neurology, pediatric neurosurgery and interventional neuroradiology. Additional specialists in radiation oncology, plastic surgery, otolaryngology, orthopaedics, intensive care, pain management and others round out the team. Together, they cut across clinical specialties to provide a personalized approach for each individual's unique needs. Combined with the latest advances in techniques and technology, neurosciences' experts allow many people to achieve healthier and more productive lives.
Specialty Centers and Programs Include:
- The Acoustic Neuroma and Skull Base Tumor Center for the noninvasive treatment of benign and cancerous brain tumors with CyberKnife®
- A National Parkinson Foundation Center of Excellence for Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders for specialized evaluation and treatments, including deep brain stimulation
- The Epilepsy Center, featuring an advanced monitoring unit for the accurate diagnosis of adults and children
- A Primary Stroke Center, as designated by the Joint Commission, with the most powerful diagnostic tools available and an emergency stroke team for the best possible recovery
- The Headache Center, including nerve blocks, Botox® injections and elective inpatient hospitalization for the most hard-to-cure cases
- The Multiple Sclerosis Center, the largest in the mid-Atlantic, with an international reputation as a referral center for special therapies
- The Neuromuscular Diseases Clinic, offered in conjunction with the Muscular Dystrophy Association
- The Neuro-Ophthalmology Clinic, for the treatment of vision loss or double vision from multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, thyroid eye disease, stroke, brain cancer or other neurological causes
- An accredited Sleep Disorders Center with a state-of-the-art sleep study program
- The Spasticity Clinic for comprehensive care, including the baclofen pump and botulinum toxin
- A multidisciplinary Spine Center, offering advanced treatment for spinal cord tumors, spine cancer, neck disorders and degenerative conditions, often through minimally invasive surgical techniques or CyberKnife®
Other in-depth services include care for people with Alzheimer's disease and dementia, brain tumors and hemorrhages, cognitive and memory disorders, nerve damage, neuromuscular disorders, pain and other conditions.
First and Foremost