Common foot problems include:
- Bunions, which are painful bumps that grow near your big toe, forcing it to angle inwards. The joint connecting your big toe to the rest of your foot then swells and irritates your skin
- Hammer and claw toes, which are toes that do not have the right shape
- Neuromas, which are swollen nerves that commonly affect the ball of the foot causing pain, burning, numbness, and tingling
- Bone spurs, which develops when the smooth cartilage wears down and the ends of the bone rub together
At MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s Foot and Ankle Center, we have extensive experience treating these common foot problems. We often recommend some combination of the following treatment options:
- Wearing shoes that fit well and comfortably accommodate your pain
- Avoiding high heeled shoes
- Inserting extra cushioning into your shoes
- Taking medication, such as over-the-counter pain relievers and/or cortisone shots
- Physical therapy
- Surgery, including bunionectomy
Foot Problem Treatment – MedStar Georgetown’s Comprehensive Approach
The expert orthopaedic foot and ankle specialists at MedStar Georgetown’s Foot and Ankle Center make it easy and convenient to care for whatever foot disorder you have. We offer a wide range of services you need for treatment right here at the Foot and Ankle Center. Services we provide include:
- Pedorthic and shoe consultants, if you need special orthotics, inserts or shoe
- Durable medical goods, including braces, crutches, and other equipment you may need during recovery
- Physical therapy
Our friendly staff will coordinate all aspects of your care and make sure you can easily access all services you need.
If you need surgery, you can feel confident our orthopedic foot and ankle surgeons have the experience necessary to treat your condition with the most advanced and least invasive surgical techniques. All of our specialists have fellowship training in foot and ankle surgery and focus exclusively on care of the lower extremities. We perform close to 1,500 surgeries every year.
Revision Surgery for Common Foot Problems
If you had surgery for a bunion, hammer toe, neuroma or bone spur elsewhere but were not satisfied with the results, you may benefit from meeting with our team. We perform many revision foot and ankle surgeries every year. We can help improve your function and reduce your pain, no matter where else you were treated previously.