MedStar Georgetown knee specialists offer sophisticated pain management to limit pain caused by surgery, as well as the most advanced physical therapy treatment to build back your strength and range of motion. No matter how simple or complex your knee condition, the experienced orthopaedic knee surgeons at MedStar Georgetown will offer you a successful solution.
Arthritis of the Knee
Arthritis is an inflammation of the tissues that cushion the joints where your bones meet. This inflammation can cause pain, swelling, and joint damage. Your knee joints are especially vulnerable to arthritis, which includes
- Osteoarthritis: The natural aging process can wear away at the cartilage between the bones at joints, causing inflammation and pain. It commonly affects knees.
- Post-traumatic arthritis: This form of osteoarthritis develops after you experience an injury to the knee. It can develop years after your injury occurs.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: This immune system dysfunction attacks and wears away at the cartilage lining between the bones in your joints. You generally experience rheumatoid arthritis on both sides of your body, so it would affect both knees.
Advanced arthritis in the knee can make it difficult to walk and perform many other basic daily activities. Knee replacement surgery can provide relief from arthritis symptoms, and the expert orthopaedic knee replacement surgeons at MedStar Georgetown offer a wide range of advanced treatment and surgical options for all types of advanced knee arthritis.
Knee arthritis symptoms generally include:
- Stiffness and swelling in knee area
- Difficulty moving the knee
- Knee feels weak and painful
- Knee feels unstable, as if it might give way
- Difficulty walking
Learn about knee surgery.