The spine program at MedStar Georgetown is well-respected in the central Maryland and Washington region for the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of back and spine disorders. Our program brings together a variety of skilled specialists with experience in a wide range of spinal conditions, including some of the most complex conditions seen in orthopaedic medicine. Our multidisciplinary team includes orthopaedic spine surgeons, neurosurgeons, physiatrists (rehabilitative medicine physicians), nursing staff, physical and occupational therapists, radiologists, and an interventional pain management team—and we put all our expertise to work for you, to get you back to your active life. Use the following links to learn more about how MedStar Georgetown orthopaedic physicians can diagnose and treat your back or spine conditions:
Neck, Back and Spine Diagnosis and Conditions
When you arrive at a MedStar facility with back and spine pain, our orthopaedic teams will thoroughly review your medical history and symptoms and may perform a range of physical and laboratory examinations—all with the goal of making the most accurate diagnosis so we can give you the best treatment. The most common screenings to pinpoint the source of your back or associated pain include the following:
- X-rays show the alignment of your bones and whether you have degenerative joint disease or possible tumors.
- Magnetic iesonance imaging (MRI) or computerized tomography (CT) scans can reveal herniated disks or problems with muscles, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, or blood vessels.
- Myelography uses dye to show areas where your spinal cord may be getting pinched by the vertebrae in your back.
- Bone scans detect bone tumors or compression fractures caused by osteoporosis.
- Electrodiagnostic studies can confirm nerve compression caused by herniated disks or spinal stenosis.
- Discograms determine any damage to disks.
- Electromyography (EMG) assesses nerve or muscle damage
Understanding your pain is the first step in relieving it. Once an accurate diagnosis is reached, your MedStar orthopaedic physician can discuss with you the specifics of your condition and determine a treatment plan that will meet your individual needs. Learn more about the back and spine pain and conditions our physicians can help you address: