Thoracic and Lumbar Spine Surgery
If you suffer from back pain in the thoracic or lumbar, meaning mid-back or low back areas, your first treatment choices generally include some combination of medication and physical therapy. If your pain does not improve after some months of these treatments, surgery may be your best option.
Back Surgery Options
The expert orthopedic surgeons at Georgetown University Hospital will offer you a range of surgical options, depending on your particular condition. Surgical options often include any of the following techniques:
- Anterior and posterior entry – These are surgical techniques in which we gain entry to your spine from either the front or back of your body.
- Traditional open surgery – In a traditional surgical approach, we make an open incision to access the affected area of your back.
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques – We use computer technology and specialized equipment to access the affected area of your back without making large incisions. Patients benefit from a quicker recovery and less pain.
- Motion sparing surgical techniques – These are new techniques that allow us to relieve pressure on your spinal cord or nerves without merging vertebrae and reducing your range of motion.
- Traditional fusion - This procedure eliminates your pain by merging problematic vertebrae together.
Back Surgery – Personalized Care at MedStar Georgetown
Every patient who walks through our doors gets a personalized education on their own back condition and the surgical options available. We spend time talking with you and your family and answering all of your questions to make sure you understand the risks and benefits of all available options. We make all treatment decisions together with you and always want you to feel comfortable with your choice.
If you have other specialists, we work collaboratively with them you get the most comprehensive and multidisciplinary care.
Thoracic and lumbar spine surgery can help a variety of back conditions, including: