Pediatric Down Syndrome Clinic: Interdisciplinary Team Care Focused on Your Child
Who We Are
The Pediatric Down Syndrome Clinic provides comprehensive care and support for children with Down Syndrome and their families that addresses all of the important issues related to feeding, growth and development, and medical conditions to ensure that each child reaches their full potential. Led by pediatric experts in genetics and nutrition, the clinic provides family-centered medical services that include thorough evaluations
and development of a treatment plan to meet your child’s individual needs.
We provide top quality services that adhere to the highest standards and recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics for health supervision for individuals with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome). We help families cope with the multiple needs of their children by providing a central contact point who coordinates and manages care. The teamworks hand-in-hand with families, your primary care team and medical specialists to ensure that your child receives appropriate care following birth—and throughout their childhood.
The clinic’s full range of services include:
- Providing a comprehensive assessment
- Managing medical issues
- Connecting families with community resources
- Teaching families to advocate for their children
What to Expect
While we have evaluated many of our patients at birth, patients can be seen at the clinic at any time during their childhood and adolescence. Prior to your first visit, our team will have received and reviewed your child’s medical records to familiarize themselves with any existing conditions and current treatment.
During your first visit to the clinic, you and your child will meet with both the geneticist and nutritionist. After our examinations, we will review our recommendations and treatment plan. Before the end of the appointment, you will have referrals to any needed medical specialists or additional services. We will also provide information about local organizations and county and city resources that can provide support.
Within several weeks, we see you and your child for a follow-up visit. We will schedule routine appointments for every two to four months during the first year—and annual visits thereafter.
Referral to Pediatric Specialists
Through the clinic, your child has access to a host of MedStar Georgetown University Hospital pediatric specialists. The clinic team will coordinate care and refer patients to the experts that meet your child’s needs.
- Adolescent medicine
- Apnea services
- Infectious diseases
- Otolaryngology (ear, nose, and throat)
- Speech-language pathology, physical therapy and occupational therapy
Meet the Team
Our clinic provides a fully integrated approach to the care of children with Down Syndrome. The team is headed by specialists in the fields of genetics and nutrition who rely on the expertise of a variety of other pediatric specialists to provide quality care.
- Reem Saddeh-Haddad, MD, is a board certified clinical geneticist. A graduate of Georgetown University School of Medicine, she completed an internship and residency at New York University, and her genetic training at Johns Hopkins University. In addition to her extensive clinical experience in genetics, Dr. Saadeh brings a gift for clarity in communication to the practice of genetic counseling. Her special interests include dysmorphology and pediatric and cancer genetics.
- Monica Cicchini, RD, CSP, LD, is a pediatric dietitian is at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s comprehensive pediatric practice. Ms. Cicchini received her Bachelor’s of Science and Dietetic Internship from the University of Maryland and her Master’s of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Rutgers University. She has extensive experience working with children who have special nutritional needs.
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment or to request more information about the Down Syndrome Clinic at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, call 202-243-3491.