If you and your doctor decide on surgery to treat your prostate cancer, you may be a candidate for a minimally invasive surgical procedure called robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. Radical prostatectomy is the surgical removal of the prostate to treat prostate cancer. The DaVinci robot is a state-of-the-art surgical system that utilizes fine instrumentation guided by a trained urologist who uses the equipment to surgically remove your prostate gland through several small incisions.
For most patients, potential advantages with robot prostatectomy over open radical prostatectomy include:
- Decreased blood loss and decreased likelihood of blood transfusion
- Improved visualization of the anatomy due to 3-D vision, increased magnification, and less blood loss
- Small incisions less than ½ an inch.
- Precise, fine surgical maneuvers guided by the surgeon
- Less pain after surgery, decreasing the need for pain medications
- Faster recovery. Most patients are well enough to leave the hospital less than 24 hours after surgery and resume routine activities 1–2 weeks after surgery.
- Overall fewer postoperative complications