Ultrasounds are an important part of your prenatal care. At MedStar Georgetown’s Prenatal Diagnostic and Ultrasound Center (PDUC), our specialists provide advanced diagnostic obstetrical ultrasounds to diagnose fetal health or fetal disorders.
Comprehensive Prenatal Testing
At MedStar Georgetown, all of your prenatal care is right here under one roof. Whether you need an ultrasound or a blood test, we have the facilities and the expertise to handle all of your prenatal needs. Our specialists are experts in using ultrasound technology to examine the fetus and diagnose any disorders.
Our specialists include a genetic counselor and a reproductive toxicologist.
Prenatal Ultrasound Testing at MedStar Georgetown
Your obstetrician will discuss each of the tests with you, so you understand what the test is screening for and possible risks.
Our PDUC offers:
- Ultrasound, a noninvasive imaging test that uses sound waves to create a picture of the fetus. The images help the doctor assess the baby’s growth and development.
- First trimester combined screening. This combines two tests:
- Nuchal translucency ultrasound screening, also called the NT, which helps your physician determine your baby’s risk of having Down’s syndrome, certain chromosomal abnormalities or major congenital heart problems.
- Blood sample analysis measures certain proteins that are produced by the placenta. If the fetus has Down’s syndrome, the protein levels may be elevated.
- Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) and amniocentesis, which are more invasive prenatal diagnostic tests that can detect chromosomal abnormalities such as Down’s syndrome and other genetic disorders.
- Electronic fetal heart monitoring, used to assess the fetus’ heart rate.
- Genetic counseling is an option, even before contemplating a pregnancy, so you understand your risks and options, or if a screening test diagnosed an abnormality in the fetus.