Per the Bylaws, a Practitioner (MD, NP, Psychologist, DPM, DDS, DMD, LSCW) who wishes to apply for privileges and become a member of the Staff at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital shall establish that he or she meets the following qualifications:
- Current licensure in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia, as required to render patient care services at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, or another MedStar hospital or one of its ambulatory care satellites.
- Diploma from a school or program approved by the Board on advice of the MEC for the Practitioner's field of practice.
- Consent from the Practitioner for inspection of all records and documents pertinent to his or her licensure, training, experience, current competency, and health status, and agreement to appear for an interview if requested.
- A pledge from the Practitioner to provide continuous care for his or her patients and to abide by the Hospital policies and Code of Conduct.
- Agreement of the Practitioner to release and waive any claim against the Hospital, its Staff members, employees, and Board members, and any other individual, institution, or agency acting at the request of the Hospital for: (i) providing information to the Hospital as part of the credentials review process; (ii) participating in the credentials review process or in a Professional Review Action; or (iii) providing information to another hospital, institution or agency in good faith, in response to a request for credentials or performance information about the Practitioner.
- Agreement of the Practitioner to comply with the Ethical Religious Directives in regard to matters involving pastoral care, patient care, care for the beginning of life, and care for the dying on the Hospital clinical campus.
- Proof of current liability insurance
- Negative drug screen and acceptable criminal background check
- Proof of current influenza vaccination (during the defined influenza period)
- Payment of a non-refundable fee to reimburse the Hospital for the expenses incurred in the receipt and review of the application.
Staff membership shall not be denied to a Practitioner on the basis of gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual preference, sexual orientation, race, ethnic/national identity, language, culture, color, creed, national origin, age, marital status, religion, socioeconomic status, type of procedure or patient in which the provider specializes in, and/or physical or mental disability unrelated to the effective delivery of patient care at the generally recognized professional level of competence.
MGUH utilizes the electronic CAQH application. In order to obtain additional required forms or for questions, please contact the Medical Staff Affairs Office at (202) 444-3011. The mailing address is:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
Office of Medical Staff Affairs
3800 Reservoir Road NW
Lower Level Bles Room 144
Washington, DC 20007
Fax (202) 444-2316
The reappointment process must be completed every two years from the date that the provider's privileges are approved by the Board. Reappointment applications are sent to provider offices four months prior to the expiration date. Please notify the office of any change in home or office address, telephone or email.
The Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please contact us at (202) 444-3011.