Radiation Medicine Treatments
Targeted Radiation Medicine Treatments
At MedStar Georgetown University Hospital our radiation medicine physicians specialize in treating specific types of cancer, with years of experience staying at the forefront of cutting-edge treatments for unique conditions. Our physicians have pioneered some of today’s most effective treatments in the Washington, D.C. area, such as CyberKnife and the Proton Beam Therapy.
Available treatments include:
- Proton Beam Therapy uses energy from protons instead of photons, allowing high dose radiation with no exit dose, resulting in fewer side effects than traditional radiation.
- Brachytherapy and Interstitial treats cancer by the insertion of radioactive implants directly into the tissue for prostate cancer and other conditions.
- CyberKnife Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) is a non-invasive treatment using a robotic arm to deliver beams of high-dose radiation with extreme accuracy to inoperable tumors. CyberKnife is an accurate, effective treatment for tumors anywhere in the body—even in places previously considered unreachable.
- Image-guided Radiation Therapy uses imaging during radiation therapy to improve precision and accuracy of treatment delivery for tumors in areas that move, such as the lungs.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) uses linear accelerators to safely and painlessly deliver precise radiation doses.
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) is a non-invasive treatment that delivers precisely targeted radiation in fewer high doses compared to traditional therapy for such conditions as functional abnormalities and small tumors in the body.
Clinical Programs and Services
- Brain Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Bile Duct Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Spine Cancer
Make an Appointment
For more information or to schedule an appointment with a radiation oncologist, call our scheduling line:
Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
Radiation Medicine is an integral part of the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Washington, D.C. region. Learn More.
- Anatoly Dritschilo, MD, Chair
- Peter Ahn, MD
- Brian T. Collins, MD
- Sean P. Collins, MD, PhD
- William Harter, MD
- Sonali Rudra, MD
- Andrew Satinsky, MD
- Keith R. Unger, MD