Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy Treatment
Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy Program
MedStar Georgetown Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy Program is the only adult academic program of its kind in the Washington, D.C., area, giving patients access to life-saving treatment options not otherwise available in our region. Our team of specialists have extensive experience performing this complex procedure and work to provide a safe, effective, and comfortable procedure. We are also proud of our close collaboration with the John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center and the physicians and scientists of Georgetown University School of Medicine. Together, we are able to deliver comprehensive, advanced care to our patients.
- Am I a Candidate for Bone Marrow or Stem Cell Transplantation?
- Bone Marrow or Stem Cell Transplantation Procedures
- Preparing for transplant: What is right for you?
- For Referring Physicians
- Meet Our Team
FAQ's About Bone Marrow and Blood Stem Cell Transplant
Click below to learn more about bone marrow and blood stem cell transplant from Dr. Rowley.
Stem Cell Transplantation: Treatment for Cancer and Blood Diseases
Stem cells, found in the bone marrow, are crucial to our health because they can develop into the three types of blood cells that the body needs:
- Red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the body
- White blood cells, which fight infection
- Platelets, which help the blood clot
A stem cell or bone marrow transplant is a procedure for patients whose bone marrow does not produce healthy stem cells. Certain diseases (and sometimes treatments for diseases) can damage a person’s stem cells. Transplantation, which replaces the damaged stem cells with healthy, functional stem cells, can be one of two types:
Once considered an experimental treatment, it is now a standard of care for patients with certain types of cancer and blood disorders, including:
- Acute and chronic leukemias
- Aplastic anemia
- Non-Hodgkin and Hodgkin lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
- Primary amyloidosis
- Myelodysplastic syndromes
- Myeloproliferative disorders
- Sickle cell anemia
Features of our program include:
- Experienced team: Our physicians have decades of experience performing transplantation procedures, making us one of the top transplantation teams in the region. We translate the latest research into results, leading to improved techniques and outcomes. We combine our experience with the expert team at MedStar Georgetown’s Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in the Washington, D.C., region.
- Dedicated transplant specialists: Our physicians are full-time transplant specialists who have dedicated their entire careers to bone marrow and stem cell transplantation. We offer all of the treatment options available today and can confidently recommend the optimal techniques and procedures for you. Learn more about what to expect during bone marrow and stem cell transplantation.
- Expertise with high-risk patients: Patients who may have been turned away from other programs—either due to age, health or other reasons—often find hope and treatment at MedStar Georgetown. We are confident in our ability to guide high-risk patients safely through the treatment and recovery process.
- Holistic care: At MedStar Georgetown, we know a sickness affects more than just your physical health. Our robust team consists of many different health care professionals, who are here to care for your physical, emotional and social needs.
- World’s largest marrow harvesting site: MedStar Georgetown is home to the largest collection site for the National Marrow Donor program, a program started by the U.S. Department of Defense. This gives us an unmatched level of experience and expertise in cell collection. Learn more about what to expect during bone marrow and stem cell transplantation.
Make an Appointment
To learn more or make an appointment with a specialist, please call our scheduling line.
- Scott D. Rowley, MD, FACP, Director
- Pashna N. Munshi, MD, Associate Clinical Director
- Michele Donato, MD, FACP
- Andrew Pecora, MD, FACP
- David H. Vesole, MD, PhD, FACP
Awards & Recognitions
MedStar Georgetown Awarded FACT Accreditation
Our program, home to the nation’s largest stem cell collection facility, is the region’s only adult, Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)-accredited program for autologous transplant, allogeneic transplant, and cellular immunotherapy.