Gastroenterology refers to a branch of medicine that focuses on the digestive system, which comprises such organs as the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon (large intestine), and rectum.
A subspecialty, called hepatology, focuses on the path of bile in digestion through the liver, bile ducts, gallbladder, and pancreas. Learn about:
Patients with conditions of the digestive tract often suffer for years before their conditions are accurately diagnosed and treated. MedStar Health doctors are nationally recognized gastroenterologists and hepatologists who can diagnose your condition, provide effective treatments and therapies, and improve your quality of life.
Learn more about some of the gastrointestinal, liver, and pancreatic conditions we treat:
- Anal and Rectal Conditions
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Celiac Disease
- Colorectal Polyps
- Congenital Anomalies of the Biliary Tract
- Crohn's Disease
- Gallbladder Disease and Gallstones
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), or heartburn
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Liver Disease (Hepatitis B and C)
- Pancreatic Cysts
- Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction
- Ulcerative Colitis
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a gastroenterology specialist, please call our scheduling line.