Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Center
The Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease program at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, understands that inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can affect people at any stage of life, disrupting their personal, professional and social experiences. We work together with our IBD patients to provide them with the best medical and surgical care. Our goals are to:
- Control the disease progression and symptoms
- Prevent disease complications
- Minimize medication side effects
- Achieve the best quality of life
Team of Specialists at the Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Every member of our team has a special interest in inflammatory bowel disease and extensive experience treating IBD patients. We understand that each patient's situation is unique, and our IBD center offers second opinions on how to manage complex and challenging situations.
The Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease program at MedStar Georgetown offers our patients a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach by involving gastroenterologists and surgeons who specialize in managing and treating IBD patients. The inflammatory bowel disease gastroenterologists, surgeons, radiologists and pathologists come together at our IBD multidisciplinary rounds to discuss and review the details of each patient's case and devise the best plan of care. The inflammatory bowel disease specialists at MedStar Georgetown include:
Our inflammatory bowel disease team also consists of physicians from other departments, including:
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Conditions Treated
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Indeterminate Colitis
- Microscopic Enterocolitis; Lymphocytic and Collagenous Enterocolitis
- Celiac Disease
- Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis
The department of pediatrics at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital includes a gastroenterology division that cares for children and adolescents with IBD. We ensure that the transition from pediatric care to adult care is progressive and smooth, keeping your records and your care within the same institution.
Learn more about pediatric gastroenterology.
Individualized Treatment Plan Helps Manage Chronic Ulcerative Colitis
MyGeorgetownMD Fall 2016
Make an Appointment
How Can I Participate in a Clinical Trial?
Schedule a visit to discuss whether you qualify for one of our trials in ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
- MedImmune MEDI2070 LUX
- PIONEER-CD: A Study Assessing Nutritional Intervention in Improving the Intestinal Mucosal Health Status in Subjects With Crohn's Disease (CD) Receiving Anti-TNF Therapy
- Filgotinib in the Induction and Maintenance of Remission in Adults with Moderately to Severely Active Crohn’s Disease
- Filgotinib in the Induction and Maintenance of Remission in Adults with Moderately to Severely Active Ulcerative Colitis
- Aline Charabaty, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine
- Mark Mattar, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine
- Mohammed Bayasi, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Aimee LeStrange, NP
- Mary Kate Lapinel, NP
- Olayinka (Yinka) Majekodunmi, RN
MedStar Georgetown IBD Center patients participate in IBD Qorus: Click here to learn more about our commitment to IBD quality of care.