Benefits of Robotic Surgery
Robotic surgery offers many benefits to both patients and surgeons.
For the patient, the benefits include:
- More precise surgery. Often, your surgeon needs to operate near healthy, sensitive organs, tissues and nerves. The goal of surgery is to remove the abnormality without affecting surrounding healthy structures. The small size and flexibility of the robotic instruments makes this easier to accomplish.
- Significantly less pain.
- Less risk of infection and blood loss. Your surgeon makes tiny incisions rather than large ones, lowering the risk of infection or blood loss.
- Earlier discharge from the hospital. Generally, patients can go home earlier following a robotic surgery, sometimes even the next day.
- Less scarring and shorter recovery. The smaller incisions also mean that your recovery period is shorter. Sometimes, recovery may last just a few days.
- In many cases, better clinical outcomes.
For the surgeon, the benefits include:
- An enhanced visual field. At the console, your surgeon has a superior view of the operating area. The high-definition camera provides a magnified, detailed view of the affected area. Your surgeon can see the microscopic structures more clearly, leading to a more precise surgery.
- Superior dexterity. A human hand can only move so much. But the robotic instrument exceeds the dexterity and range of motion of the human hand. The arms can rotate a full 360 degrees. This allows your surgeon to operate in a way that would be impossible without the robot.
- Access to hard-to-reach places. The enhanced flexibility and precision of the robot allows your surgeon to access hard-to-reach areas. This means surgeons can treat more conditions with robotic surgery.