At MedStar Georgetown, our specialists work with each patient to establish a treatment plan—including the techniques used in supervised and independent therapy sessions—based on their individual situation and needs.
Additionally, our therapists teach and guide each patient to maximize the use of the dysfunctional extremity while preventing re-injury or worsening of condition. Therapists may educate the patient on the disease process, the healing process, and rationale for the prescribed therapy techniques.
An assortment of services are offered, including
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Protective splinting for immobilization and controlled motion post-operatively or post-injury
- Exercise programs to restore motion, strength, and fine and gross motor coordination
- Home exercise programs
- Sensory re-education programs after nerve injury
- Thermal and electrical modalities to minimize pain and swelling, facilitate restoration of joint motion and tendon gliding, and decrease hypersensitivity
- Whirlpools to assist with wound healing
- Social work consultations